Gaming headphones are a crucial part of gaming. They provide clear sound quality and surround sound for gaming. Whether a PC gamer or console gamer, having a good pair of gaming headphones can make a big difference in your gameplay experience.
A gaming headphone is a headphone designed for use with video games, providing enhanced audio and often additional features to improve the gaming experience. Gaming headphones often have features like surround sound, noise cancellation, and low latency to provide the best gaming experience possible.
It’s no secret that gamers take their audio seriously. Many gamers invest in high-quality headphones to get the most immersive experience possible. But with so many different types and brands of gaming headphones on the market, it can be hard to decide which pair is right for you.
This article will explore the different gaming headphones and what to look for when purchasing.
Types Of Gaming Headphones
There are many types of gaming headphones available in the market. But 4 main types are – closed-back, open-back, over-ear, and wireless styles.
These headphones typically have a very tight seal around the ear, blocking most outside noise. That makes them great for single-player gaming, where you want to focus on the noises and sounds of the game.
They are not well-suited for multiplayer gaming because they can be quite noisy in crowded areas.
These headphones let more ambient noise into your ears, which is great if you’re looking for an immersive experience when playing online with friends or guildmates.
They are not as good for single-player games since they can let much environmental noise in. However, open-back headphones are perfect if you’re looking to listen to music or movies while gaming.
The over-ear style is probably the most popular type of headphone and comes in both open-back and closed-back varieties.
It provides an outstanding balance between sound quality and noise isolation. That means it will block the sounds around you while playing video games.
These gaming headphones allow you to move around while playing your game without disturbing the audio.
They usually come equipped with a wireless receiver and transmitter to be connected to any compatible device, including smartphones, tablets, and computer systems.
How Do Gaming Headphones Work?
When you put on a gaming headset, the audio signal is sent directly into your ears instead of through your speakers. That allows you to hear the sound more clearly and in greater detail than if the audio was played now through your computer’s speakers.
Gaming headphones come in two main types – active or passive.
- Active gaming headphones require an additional power source (usually found on laptop computers) to work correctly. They are not always practical when traveling or when battery life is a concern.
- Passive gaming headphones rely on your computer’s built-in speakers to play the audio. So, they will not work with external devices such as MP3 players or game consoles.
The Best Gaming Headphones for Different Types of Gamers
There are different types of headphones for different types of gaming platforms. For example, if you want to use headphones for your PlayStation 4, you need a different kind of headphones than if you’re going to use them for your Xbox One. The best gaming headphones for different types of gamers are:
For the PC gamer, the best gaming headphones are the SteelSeries Arctis 7. They have excellent sound quality and are very comfortable to wear, even for long gaming sessions.
For a console gamer who plays mainly on a PlayStation 4, the best gaming headphones are the Astro Gaming A50 Wireless Headset. They have excellent sound quality and are easy to set up and use with your PS4.
Which Gaming Headphones Are Best for Listening to Music Or Watching Videos
Gamers who want a good pair of gaming headphones to listen to music or watch videos should prioritize bass response and durability. That said, here are some of the best gaming headphones on the market today:
- Sennheiser PC 350: These headphones feature a bass-rich sound with excellent clarity and bass response, making them ideal for listening to music or watching videos. They also come with a durable build quality that makes them last longer.
- Samsung Gear IconX: These wireless gaming headphones are perfect for people who want a comfortable pair of earphones that produce clear sound with minimal distortion. They have a unique design that includes a built-in microphone for phone calls.
- HyperX Cloud Stinger: This gaming headset comes with a detachable audio cable, adjustable ear cups, and a noise-canceling microphone. It is ideal for gamers on the go who need excellent sound quality without any obstructions.
Pros and Cons Gaming Headphones
Like other regular headphones, gaming headphones also have some pros and cons.
- Better gaming experience: They provide an immersive gaming experience that regular headsets can’t offer.
- Block out external noise: A good pair of gaming headsets can block out external distractions and help you to concentrate on the game.
- Audio quality: They can enhance the audio quality of the game.
- Provide directional sound: They can provide directional sound that will allow you to hear enemies approaching from behind.
- Comfortable: A good pair of gaming headsets generally come with a better ear cup design, extra soft cushioning, and stronger headbands. So, they are relatively comfortable to wear for long periods.
- All-in-one: A gaming headset has a noise-canceling option, can be wireless and has different settings in its microphone. They can also be relatively inexpensive, especially compared to other headphones. So, it is a complete headset for gamers.
- Can be expensive: Some high-quality gaming headsets can be more costly than other types.
- Difficult to maintain: They need special care to keep up and clean. So, some may find it a little challenging to maintain.
What to Look for Before Buying?
If you’re thinking of buying gaming headphones, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here are some tips:
Sound quality is key
Ensure the headphones you choose to have excellent sound quality to hear the game audio clearly and in detail.
Some gaming headphones have built-in amplification, making them better suited for louder environments or games with many action sounds.
Comfort is essential
Try different gaming headphones before purchasing to see which ones are the most comfortable. Headphones that are too tight or uncomfortable may make it difficult to enjoy your gaming experience.
Durability is also essential
Ensure the headphones you choose can take a beating and will last long enough for frequent use. Some gaming headphones come with a warranty in case of damage or defect.
Make sure the gaming headphones you choose are compatible with your gaming console or PC. Some models may require a special adapter, while others use standard audio cables.
Check the quality of the mic
Many gaming headphones have a built-in microphone that can be used for voice chat in games.
Make sure the quality of the mic is good, so you can hold conversations with your friends without using an external microphone.
Some gaming headphones have a broader frequency response than others. This means they are better suited for gamers who want to experience deeper bass tones, crisper highs, and Mids.
Some gaming headphones are ultra-lightweight. So you can wear them for extended periods without discomfort or fatigue.
Don’t skimp on gaming headphones just because they’re not expensive. They can be worth the investment if you find they help improve your game experience and sound quality.
You can find good quality headsets from 30$ to 300$. But, of course, they will not provide you with the same quality. If you find it thoroughly, you can find your desired quality headphone within your budget.
Q. How do I know if my current gaming headphones are compatible with my computer or console?
Before investing in gaming headphones, it is essential to determine your device’s audio output. You can find the information on the packaging or web page of the gaming headset you are thinking of buying. There are three audio outputs: headphone jack (3.5mm), optical out, and HDMI.
Gaming headphones with a 3.5mm jack will work with most computers and consoles, while Optical out requires an extra adapter for specific devices like TVs or game consoles.
If your device doesn’t have an HDMI port, gaming headphones with a 3.5mm jack may not be compatible. In that case, you will need to buy gaming headphones with a separate optical audio output adapter.
Q. Do wireless or Bluetooth gaming headphones offer better sound quality?
When it comes to sound quality, both wireless and Bluetooth gaming headphones have their pros and cons. Generally speaking, wired gaming headsets offer better sound quality as they are connected directly to the audio output on your PC or console.
This means you get a higher-quality audio experience than wireless gaming headphones, which connect wirelessly through Bluetooth.
On the other hand, wireless gaming headphones are more portable as they don’t require cords or cables. They also tend to be cheaper than wired gaming headsets.
However, wireless gaming headphones do not always provide a better audio experience, as they can often experience audio lag and choppy gameplay.
Q. What other features should I consider when choosing a gaming headset?
Some other features to consider when purchasing a gaming headset include battery life, type of connection (wired or wireless), microphone quality, and buttons for voice chat and control.
Additionally, audio quality is an essential factor to consider when gaming. Some gaming headsets have features like noise cancellation, which can help block out background noise so that you can focus on the game more.
Q. Is a good headset important for gaming?
A good headset is essential for gaming for a few reasons:
1. Let’s hear the game audio clearly, giving you an advantage over other players.
2. It Helps you communicate with other players if the game has voice chat.
3. It can help immerse you in the game world and make the experience more enjoyable.
Q. How much should I spend on a gaming headset?
You don’t need to spend a lot to buy a good gaming headset. You can find a decent headset for around $50.
However, if you want a top-of-the-line headset with all the bells and whistles, you can expect to spend about $100.
Whether you’re looking for a simple headset to chat with friends during gameplay or an immersive surround sound experience, there’s a gaming headphone that’s perfect for you. So, what are you waiting for? Get shopping and start gaming.
James Dimento is a Chief-in-Editor of SoundUnify. He is a headphone enthusiast and creative writer passionate about audio technology. He has three years of experience writing about headphones and sound quality and is responsible for creating reviews and taking care of all administration.